Re: JAVA_HOME policy

> Jetty finds tools.jar itself based on the java.home property and
> adds it to its own classloader.   All do some checking to see if
> using the ant.jar directly can do the same thing.

It occurred to me that these tools (ant, jetty, etc.) are only
dependent upon a specific class name (i.e., com.sun.tools.javac.Main),
and what they really want is whatever jar file contains that class.

It seems to me that the right way to get away from making 'tools.jar'
a standard name is to provide a way for packages to depend upon "the
jar that contains foo.bar.baz" (perhaps more generally "the classpath
element that contains foo.bar.baz".

So, for example, a Kaffe package would return a different set of
classpath elements than a j2sdk one.

Not sure if this is feasible or what, but thought I'd make the
observation.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann@cs.utah.edu
                   A closed mouth gathers no foot.