Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 in Debian?

Rick Lutowski <rick@jreality.com> wrote:

> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>
> > especially  when   you  (i  think)  argue  that   jakarta  is  not
> > responsible  to  provide a  full  distribution  and  it's user  or
> > package maintainer  responsability to download  the different jars
> > needed by the application (in our case tomcat4).
>
> By 'package  maintainer' I assume  you mean 'debian  dselect package
> maintainer', and  not just someone  who creates a custom  tarball or
> jar containing the non-free stuff required by Tomcat.  Yes?

I meant the man who will  make the Debian package of Tomcat. According
to  the Debian  philosophy,  it means  making  different packages  and
dependencies.  The  packages with  license problems will  not be  IN a
package  but  an  installer  package  may  be  a  good  solution  (the
[end-]user will  be prompted by  DebConf to download the  package from
the Sun site (login and/or accepting license terms) and then place the
downloaded zip  file in /tmp,  the installer package will  extract the
zip file and place it in /usr/share/java).

> > you), how about an installer  package? Users will download all the
> > needed packages and the installer package will unzip and move them
> > to /usr/share/java  with all  the rest of  the jars in  the Debian
> > distribution.
>
> If deselect package is what you mean, then your statement about it's
> user  responsibility to  download [non-free]  jars makes  sense, but
> saying "or  [deselect] package maintainer's  responsibility" may not
> make sense,  depending on the reason _why_  this responsibility gets
> pushed off jakarta onto the debian team or user:
>
> Could it  be the reason the  user has this responsibility  is due to
> Sun's (or other vendor)  license restrictions on redistribution?  If
> so, then creating non-free  deselect packages might be useless, even
> if a  volunteer is found to  do it, because these  too might violate
> the vendor's  license.  I say 'mignt' because  this depends entirely
> on  which vendor  jars are  involved --  in the  case of  Sun, their
> license  differs with  each product,  as we  know.  Things  would be
> clarified  if  someone  could  please  list  the  non-free  packages
> involved.

I think Tomcat4  only need packages from Sun  except the Tyrex package
but I haven't been able to download it today.

> <place list here>

I did  make a  list of all  the jars  files Tomcat4 needs  to compile,
based on  the BUILDING.txt file from the  Jakarta-Tomcat 4.0.1 sources
from  the  apache  site  (#  $Id:  BUILDING.txt,v  1.5.2.3  2001/10/04
19:29:30  remm Exp $).  There are  4 sections:  1) packages  needed by
Tomcat4 but  already exist in  Debian; [A note about  the BUILDING.txt
file]; 2) packages needed by Tomcat4  and do *not* exist in Debian; 3)
optional package that exists in  Debian; 4) optional package that does
*not* exists in Debian.

1) Existing packages:
JDK >=1.2 (?)
Ant-1.4
   + jakarta-ant-1.4-optional.jar
     (is this in the package?)
Jaxp-1.1 (Crimson package)
Xalan
Xerces-1
Servlet-API-2.3

NOTE about the BUILDING.txt file:

# (6) Steps  (7) - (17)  are optional,  but are  necessary to  build a
#     complete binary distribution of  Tomcat 4.0. Set the "full.dist"
#     property to "on" in the build.properties file (see step (17)) to
#     build a  complete distribution.  Regular  contributors to Tomcat
#     are encouraged to use the complete build option.

Steps 7 - 17 specify the other packages "needed" by Tomcat4 to compile
the sources.

Reading this, is it possible to make a "minimal" Tomcat4 distribution?

2) Non-existing packages for a full distribution of Tomcat4:
JDBC Optional Package API (version 2.0)
   http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

JMX 1.0 Reference Implementation AND Agent Reference Impl >=1.0
   http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/download.html
   LICENSE: SUN COMMUNITY SOURCE LICENSE

JNDI 1.2.1 Reference Implementation >=1.2.1
   http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

LDAP Provider (ldap.jar)
   http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

Java Activation Framework 1.0.1 >=1.0.1
   http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

JavaMail package >=1.2
   http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.html
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

Java Secure Sockets Extension (JSSE) package >=1.0.2
   http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/
   NOTE: The user will have to be registred!
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

Java Transaction API (JTA) package =1.0.1
   http://java.sun.com/products/jta/
   LICENSE: Binary Code License Agreement

Optional packages:
3)  Existing packages:
JUnit unit test package >=3.7
   http://www.junit.org/
   NOTE: This step  is only required if you wish  to build and execute
         the unit tests that are part of the Tomcat 4.0 source base.

4)  Non-existing packages:
Tyrex JAR or release =0.9.7
   http://tyrex.exolab.org/download.html
   NOTE: This  step is only  required if you  wish to build  the Tyrex
         connection   pool  implementation   for   JNDI-accessed  data
         sources.

> If the above list includes Sun (or other vendor) code with licensing
> that  restricts redistribution,  then the  only solution  other than
> give up  (which makes life hard  on the Tomcat 4  user, esp non-Java
> user who thinks jars hold pickles  but still wants to use Tomcat) is
> to try to get permission  from the vendor.  Maybe jakarta has tried,
> I  don't know.   Even if  they have  and were  turned down,  a lobby
> effort  from a large  number of  users might  be successful  where a
> single request  from jakarta  was not.  But  this is  jumping ahead.
> First, it would help to know exactly what the real problem is.
>
> Is the  problem that vendor licensing  prohibits redistribution, and
> if so, for exactly which vendor/jar packages?

I  think  Henri  Gomez  has  a  very good  knowledge  of  the  license
problems.  I'll try  to read  the two  licenses involved  (binary code
license agreement and Sun community source license)...

-- Arnaud
http://vbstefi60.fapse.ulg.ac.be/