RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 in Debian?

>> We have some discussions around  the packaging of these kind of API,
>> which  are mandatory  for TC  4.x  on tomcat-dev  and Sun  employees
>> clearly indicate that WE SHOULDN'T PROVIDE ANY PACKAGING OF SUCH JAR
>> (RPM/DEB), see Licence
>
>Hi Henri,
>
>I    followed     some    discussions    where     you    appear    at
>general@jakarta.apache.org   (or   was  it   general@xml.apache.org?),
>especially when you (i think) argue that jakarta is not responsible to
>provide  a  full distribution  and  it's  user  or package  maintainer
>responsability  to   download  the   different  jars  needed   by  the
>application (in our  case tomcat4). I did not send a  "me too" mail at
>the time :) but I do agree :).

Thanks.

That's a real problem with the dreaded Sun Binary License.
You could provide a jar in a product, ie a tomcat binary could
be released with jndi, jta, javamail but couldn't put it alone.

So you couldn't provide a jndi deb package and install it on
/usr/share/java and then make your tomcat 4 package require this one...

>So  following your proposition  on the  mailing list  (I think  it was
>you),  how about  an installer  package? Users  will download  all the
>needed packages and the installer  package will unzip and move them to
>/usr/share/java  with  all  the  rest   of  the  jars  in  the  Debian
>distribution.

The jpackage team is waiting replies from Sun officials about the
packaging problem to decide if we'll use the nosrc packaging.

May be it will be good for us if you, the debian java team,
send also request to Sun for packaging these API ?