Re: Quitting debian-java

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:59:08 EAT
Alan KF LAU <akflau@itsd.gcn.gov.hk> wrote:

> > I _am_ a Java programmer. Insult me like that again, and I'll give you a
> > well-deserved line in my .procmailrc.
> I'm just curious, what _kind_ of java programmer you are? You don't need
> to test compability among different VMs; you can do without
> java.security and work with Kaffe happily. You don't ever need to worry
> about distribution issue of your java apps.
>
> Are we living in the same planet earth?
>
> Or, what you mean by java programming is writing word editor run
> locally, just like Per said?
>
> Honestly I really wish free/GNU ones would catch up, but seems like
> commercial one are taking lead further and further. Take a look at the
> update date of Kaffe. It doesn't seem like a temporary problem to me.

Unless I'm mistaken, changes to the core Java APIs are slowing down. Presumably because they're perfect now. ;) Seriously, though, Java 2 1.3 has been out for a while, and I haven't heard any talk of 1.4 or 2.0 or anything like that. I assume the reason Kaffe et al are so behind par is because Java was a moving target, but I don't see that being a problem anymore.

And yes, the Java code I write is generally not anything to do with the Web. My last little project (not much of a project, but hey) was a Doom WAD reader/writer.

> Alan.

Regards,

Alex.