Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

On 3 janv. 10, at 20:09, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:50:39PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit :
>>
>> I am also looking for a method to type French outside emacs (xterm etc) in a
>> way similar to french-prefix in emacs. I find that method very convenient and
>> close enough to Mac that it is not so hard to remember.
>
> Bonjour Jean-Christophe,

Bonjour Charles,

> i do not know how french-prefix works, but here is a method.

It works very similarly to Mac: type a key that will temporarily propose an accent, then type the key that will be accented and the compound is displayed.

> If you are using a japanese keyboard, a very simple way to type french accents
> is to use the Canadian layout, which is QWERTY but has the french accents in on
> convenient keys (actually much more convenient than the terrible AZERTY layout
> in France).

:) I have been using a Japanese keyboard for almost 15 years now and the standard US layout (which is close to the Canadian layout according to the link you sent) is very difficult for me to get used to.

Instead of having to remember a new layout/system (which involves a dozen or so modifications) I'd rather have to remember a new method with a system I already know.

For ex, on Mac, "Alt-e + e" = é, in emacs with French-prefix, "Shift-7 (')" + e = é.
Similarly, "Alt-c" = ç for Mac, ",-c" = ç in emacs.

So, instead of having to remember new positions that conflict with what my eyes see (I am not quite a a touch typer yet), I just need to remember to hit Shift-7 ('), Shift-@ (`), ^ or "," to get the few letters I need in French.

> I use Xorg to switch between the Japanese and Canadian layouts by pressing
> on both shift keys. The following command sets this up:
>
> setxkbmap -layout "us,ca" -variant ",multi" -option grp:shifts_toggle

I see. Thank you for the informations. If I don't find a solution, I'll consider your setting ! :)

> Bonne chance !

Merci ! I spent the last 48 hours studying Debian install and the various encoding issues existing in the default settings. It was very interesting and I'm planning to write everything down when I am done with my experimentation. I am only targeting a working emacs box with common lisp/slime, gauche and ruby for learning purposes... I think the next issue will be to get xterm to do font aliasing...

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: @brandelune