Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 10:31:21PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Back to that pesky console...
>
> Environment: I have an old iBook on which I just put Debian from an old network install with Sarge as base.

Sarge was start of UTF-8 support.  There may be some rogh edges.  Why
bother installing oldstable?  Why not use lenny=stable?

> I've generated 3 locales: en_US-utf8/fr_FR-utf-8 and ja_JA-utf-8 and choose the en_US-utf-8 by default.

?? is this typo? or just sloppy typing?
 en_US.utf-8
 fr_FR.utf-8
 ja_JP.utf-8  (There is no ja_JA locale, it should be JP there)

Framebuffer terminals are only widely used as installer screen only.  So
there may be some bugs.  Unless you want serious challenge, I suggest
you to use X.

French:  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch07.fr.html
English: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch07.en.html

These documents should give fair starting point.

Osamu