Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

Le Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:50:39PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary a écrit :

> I am also looking for a method to type French outside emacs (xterm etc) in a
> way similar to french-prefix in emacs. I find that method very convenient and
> close enough to Mac that it is not so hard to remember.

Bonjour Jean-Christophe,

i do not know how french-prefix works, but here is a method.

If you are using a japanese keyboard, a very simple way to type french accents
is to use the Canadian layout, which is QWERTY but has the french accents in on
convenient keys (actually much more convenient than the terrible AZERTY layout
in France).

http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/images/ti/clavier.gif

I use Xorg to switch between the Japanese and Canadian layouts by pressing
on both shift keys. The following command sets this up:

setxkbmap -layout "us,ca" -variant ",multi" -option grp:shifts_toggle

Bonne chance !

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan