Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

Thank you Osamu for the reply.

On 3 janv. 10, at 18:48, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 10:31:21PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> Back to that pesky console...
>>
>> Environment: I have an old iBook on which I just put Debian from an old network install with Sarge as base.
>
> Sarge was start of UTF-8 support.  There may be some rogh edges.  Why
> bother installing oldstable?  Why not use lenny=stable?

Well, I had an old Sarge CD and no blank CD-R so I started with that. I eventually found that even the upgrade process from Aptitude was problematic so I went to my nearest combini yesterday and got myself a box of CD-R to install Lenny. I suppose changing the apt sources in Sarge would have been sufficient but I wanted to see if the default install process proposes the Japanese standard keyboard, which is not the case.

>> I've generated 3 locales: en_US-utf8/fr_FR-utf-8 and ja_JA-utf-8 and choose the en_US-utf-8 by default.
>
> ?? is this typo? or just sloppy typing?
> en_US.utf-8
> fr_FR.utf-8
> ja_JP.utf-8  (There is no ja_JA locale, it should be JP there)

You are correct.

> Framebuffer terminals are only widely used as installer screen only.  So
> there may be some bugs.  Unless you want serious challenge, I suggest
> you to use X.
>
> French:  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch07.fr.html
> English: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch07.en.html

The Debian Wiki was more straightforward. In any case, I restarted everything with Lenny and changed my apt sources to Squeeze so that I could easily install emacs23.

I used the Debian wiki to install the xserve core packages and then Fluxbox since I don't need a full desktop on that machine but only a robust multilingual emacs installation.

Now I am struggling with the various input problems but for the moment I have proper Japanese and French (-prefix) input working on Emacs. The default Japanese input system is not very smart so I am going to try Anthy.

I am also looking for a method to type French outside emacs (xterm etc) in a way similar to french-prefix in emacs. I find that method very convenient and close enough to Mac that it is not so hard to remember.

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: @brandelune