iconv from iso-2022-jp->eus-jp->iso-2022-jp breaks trailing backslash after KANJI characters [ Re: Please update debconf PO translation for the package cpufreqd 2.1.0-1]

Package: libc6

I'm filing a bug here in the hope that this bug gets tracked and
fixed. I don't have the time right now (especially over this PHS
connection) to track this problem down. I 'm describing the problem
from memory, so something might be missing. Please do ask if there's
something lacking.

> > I'd say it was some weird conversion made by mutt, in vim (on kterm) I
> > get the correct chars (ascii 92) but still I don't get the newline to
> > display here:
> >
> > "このフィーチャーをアクティベートするには追加のコンフィギュレーション"
> > "が必要かもしれません。\n" <----- this one seems ignored
> >
> > Not a big problem by now, I'm going to upload the package with this
> > small problem, anyway if someone could send me the corrected ja.po I'll
> > update it in the next release.
>
> vim corrupts your \n newline sequence. I can see a '\n' in your mail
> (although it might not be rendered as such on your mailreader).
> Please wait until Yamane answers you.

I don't have thetime to track it down right now, but I think you can
reproduce the problem by running iconv with a sequence of characters '
漢字\'. Converting from iso-2022-jp to euc-jp and converting it back
to iso-2022-jp will result in backslash becpoming a Zenkaku
backslash. This is a critical bug in that this kind of code sequence
happens often in C programs and TeX sources. My currenyt workaround is
to not allow people to use VIM to come anywhere near my sources, and
force them to use emacs.

I don't know if this is a related problem with vim, or it's a
different problem with glibc.

My current advise is to stay away from vim and mutt when editing
Japanese .po files.

regards,
	junichi
--