Japanese Printing

Hi List,

  I see that Jan has posted the email I sent to him. Well, I have tried
what he suggested; installing gs-aladdin-vflib_5.10-7.2, making indexes
fo msgothic and msmincho, add references to the fonts in /etc/vfontcap,
copying the gsfonts to /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts. I have not found
any Fontmap file, and dpkg doesn't find any package I have installed
owning a file like that, so I could not add  /min and /goth into
it. Anyway, I rebooted after all this to make sure everything would
be loaded fine, tried to print, and got the same boxes as usual instead
of kanji, hiragana, etc.

  I then tried installing the packages that Junichi suggested (gs,
gs-cjk-resource, I already had the two cmap packages installed) and
got gs-aladdin-vflib uninstalled in the process, since gs-cjk-resource
wants the gs package, which conflicts with gs-aladdin-vflib. Rebooted,
tried to print again, same problem.

  Should I have my locale set to ja_JP.eucJP when trying to print? I
doubt it'd make a difference. I did try it with the packages that
Junichi suggested installed and got the same boxes, but I hadn't tried
with the old vflib.

  Anyway, isn't there a simple doc somewhere outlining exactly what
needs to be done to get japanese printing working under debian? If not,
I think it's very important that such a document gets made (when we
finally figure out how to get the thing to work reliably).

  Well, would appreciate any help. I've pretty much given up hope
of getting japanese printed out under linux, but getting it done would
give me a warm fuzzy feeling, knowing that's one more step in getting
rid of windows.

Regards,
Sebastien L.