Re: Making my potato japanese capable =D

Hi,

From: Jakub Turski <yacoob@supersonic.plukwa.net>
Subject: Re: Making my potato japanese capable =D
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:20:22 +0200

> >  freewnn-kserver is a conversion server for Japanese text input.  You need
> > a frontend in order to use that server.  On X11, use "kinput2-wnn".

Correction: freewnn-kserver is for Korean.  freewnn-jserver is for Japanese.

>  Two important things:
>   1/  I'm  rather  using  a  console...  X11  is a last resort, slow and
> unfriendly (for me, that is :) Kon + jvim works nice... but the  problem
> is as above.
>   2/ I _hate_ emacs. Sorry, no bonus, maybe it has some special Japanese
> features, but I won't use it... :>

If you don't like emacs and you don't use X, it will be
somewhat troublesome to input Japanese.  You should use 'canna',
an alternative Japanese-inputing server, instead of wnn or
freewnn-jserver.  There are some clients which can speak the
canna protocol.  For example, jvim-canna, jed-canna, and
nvi-m17n-canna are editors which can communicate directly with
canna server.  You can also use 'emacs20-dl' + 'emacs-dl-canna',
'kinput2-canna', and so on if you like.

# There are softwares to input Japanese with wnn and canna in
# the console environment.  They are called 'uum' and 'canuum'.
# However, they are not available as Debian packages.

> > Try create another account for learning Japanese, and use user-ja-conf in
> > user-ja package.  user-ja is a configuration tool for Japanese environment,
> > and it has /usr/share/doc/user-ja/README.e.gz
>
>  :)  I  downloaded  it, but it asks a bunch of questions... in Japanese.
> Long hours w/ dictionary coming ahead....

I am a developer of user-ja package.  Sorry not to prepare an
extensive document in English.  I decided not to prepare it because
I would not be able to maintain such a document...  (Well, if many
people want English document, I will prepare it.)

Note that 'user-ja' package will be obsolete and integrated into
'language-env' package in Woody.  It supports not only Japanese
but also German, Spanish, Thai, and Russian.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/