Re: Content Filtering

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 09:37:23AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> no, actually, this isn't about linking, it's a separate clause in
> the GPL - if you distribute your work along with a GPL work then the
> *entire* work must be licensed under the GPL *unless* it is a mere
> aggregation on the same distribution media.
>
> i.e. if your work depends upon or integrates closely with the GPL work
> (even without directly linking the code) then it is covered by the GPL
> if distributed together with the GPL code it depends upon.
>
> safesquid's use of clamav, mysql, and/or squid (assuming it isn't
> actually derived from the squid code) means that any combined
> distribution of the programs causes safesquid to fall under the GPL.

<SNIP>

> see clause 2 of GPLv2 and clause 5 of GPLv3.

"You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications ..."

So, how would me reverse engineering the client protocol to MySQL and
then distributing my application along with MySQL (assuming I comply
with other provisions, such as making the MySQL source available, etc)
require me to GPL my application?  I did not modify MySQL in any way?

I guess it boils down to whether figuring out how to interoperate at a
client-server protocol level constitutes a derivative work.  I think it
does not and I think that most (if not all) legal jurisdictions see it
that way.

Regards,

-Roberto

--