Re: Content Filtering

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 05:58:42AM -0700, Sean wrote:
> Have you tried SafeSquid - content filtering proxy?
> [...]
> Although it is not open source, they have a full featured free edition
> that supports up to 20 users.

not being open source is a problem in itself, but the deliberate "brand"
confusion by naming their proprietary http proxy cache the same
as the open source squid proxy cache is dishonest, deceptive, and just
plain wrong....especially with the implication that since there is a
"safe" squid, the original squid is not safe.

your opinion may differ, but in my opinion that is the behaviour
worthless parasitic scumbags.

from what i can see of the feature list[1], it doesn't do anything that
squid can't do anyway. and squid's free. and open source. with well over
10 years of open development and improvements and bug fixes behind it.

[1] it's hard to get the details because their web site appears to be
broken. even though i've never visited the site before, i get:

  "It appears you have been banned from this website. If this is a
  mistake or you are not sure why you are banned, please contact the
  board administrator.

  Board Administrator: admin [at] safesquid.com

  You have been banned from this site."

i don't know if they don't like my IP address, my browser User-Agent,
the fact that I use NoScript to disable javascript....or perhaps
they don't like the HTTP_VIA request header which mentions my squid
proxy.

either way, i just couldn't be bothered contacting them.

[a few minutes later...] how interesting. it's the HTTP_VIA header. i
disabled the proxy setting in my browser and whaddaya know - their site
suddently works for me. so they don't want people using squid to visit
their site. wonder why that is.

that just tends to reinforce my opinion of them.

craig

ps: are you the same "Sean" that's plugging safesquid on howtoforge.com
with all those articles? do you work for safesquid or something? have
you been hired or is it part of your job to post all those howto
articles? and/or promote safesquid on mailing lists like this one?

it's generally considered good form to disclose your relationship or
interest when promoting something.  more to the point, it is dishonest
and unethical to NOT make adequate disclosure.

> http://howtoforge.com/content-filtering-proxy-safesquid

by "Sean" on 2008-03-07

> http://howtoforge.com/set-up-internet-access-control-and-internet-filtering-with-safesquid

by "Sean" on 2008-03-28

> http://howtoforge.com/control-access-to-unwanted-websites-using-url-blacklist-with-safesquid-proxy-server

by "Sean" on 2008-04-15

> http://howtoforge.com/gateway-level-virus-security-clamav-safesquid-proxy

by "Sean" on 2008-03-17

pps: the OP had already said he didn't want a HTTP proxy, and you jump
in pushing a proprietary HTTP proxy. in my book, that (coupled with what
looks very much like an undisclosed relationship or financial interest
in the product you're pushing) makes you a spammer.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #221:

The mainframe needs to rest.  It's getting old, you know.