Re: Debian on HP ML150 G5 (SC40Ge raid)

Hello,

Friday, July 25, 2008, 0:26:53, Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:

> Le 23 juil. 08 à 13:26, Marek Podmaka a écrit :

> I've got several SC44Ge, they are LSI 1068E which is a very common
> chipset (found in HP, Dell, Sun and even NetApp). I'll try a SC40Ge
> from a Proliant DL160 G5 next week.

> These cards provides basic hardware RAID-1, RAID-0 or RAID-10 (no
> cache, no BBU), there are great.

Thanks for your answer. I've got the server day before, so I have
noticed that it is a 1064E chipset (but has a label stating LSI 3042).
If you say that they are great - are you using its HW RAID or Linux
Software RAID on them? The BIOS looks fine with lot of features (not
possible to create degraded RAID-1, but it seems possible to create
RAID-1 without destryoing data on disk).

It's probably not relevant to the controller, but Etch install CD will
just panic on booting, however lenny businesscard CD works fine, but
installs etch kernel, which also panics :( So I'm going to install
64bit debian in vmware on notebook and compile my own kernel and hope
it will work.

No problem installing from lenny's installed (but the controller's
kernel module is loaded when the installer probes for network
adapters). Probably also etch installer should find it, but as I said,
the kernel just panics during boot (tried noacpi, noapic, but it
didn't help).

Just one more question - when I create a HW RAID, I will see it in
linux as one "virtual" disk. And the source 2 disks will not be
presented to linux?

--
  bYE, Marki