Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

* Oliver Hitz schrieb am 03.09.07 um 19:13 Uhr:
> Hi Michelle
>
> On 02 Sep 2007, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > It taks to much time (over 5 hours) to do incremental backup using the
> > rsync method.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me a PERFECT solution to backup 60 Maildirs (maybe
> > increasing) which hold per $USER over 1 million files?
>
> No perfect solution, but I had a similar problem and solved it by using
> reiserfs instead of ext3 for the maildirs and backup partition. ext3 is
> much slower than reiserfs if you're handling directories containing huge
> numbers of files.

Do not use reiserfs if you do not want to trash your data.

I had several bad experiences with reiserfs.

We used it as spool storage for a really huge MTA delivering about 80 millions
mails per month. So many million files were created and deleted each day.

The filesystem got corrupted from time to time without having had
system crashes or the like.

I suggest using XFS for such things. Its really fast and on this
particular MTA the spool storage is stable since we switched to XFS.

Just my 2 cents.

-Marc
--
| Ein Service von Links2Linux.de:         /  o\   RPMs for SuSE   |