Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

Hello Marc,

Am 2007-09-08 19:45:32, schrieb Marc Schiffbauer:
> Do not use reiserfs if you do not want to trash your data.
>
> I had several bad experiences with reiserfs.

Me too!

On etime I had nearly 60% of my (at this time) 5 mio
files trashed to ZERO size and NOW try to recover...

> We used it as spool storage for a really huge MTA delivering about 80 millions
> mails per month. So many million files were created and deleted each day.
>
> The filesystem got corrupted from time to time without having had
> system crashes or the like.
>
> I suggest using XFS for such things. Its really fast and on this
> particular MTA the spool storage is stable since we switched to XFS.

I am already thinking on pulling my Maildir entirely out of my FileServer
into a stand-alone Mailserver, since it seems, I can get 19"/1U machines
for less then 2000 Euro (using 3 WD360GD for System and 3 WD740GD for the
Maildir in where each is a Raid1 + Hotfix)

But then I do not know, how to handel the fetchmail and procmail recipes
which are locate in the ${HOME} of the FileServer. Maybe I run a script
each minute and check for changes which then use rsync to transfer the
files to the Mailserver...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)