Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

Hi Michelle

On 02 Sep 2007, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> It taks to much time (over 5 hours) to do incremental backup using the
> rsync method.
>
> Can anyone tell me a PERFECT solution to backup 60 Maildirs (maybe
> increasing) which hold per $USER over 1 million files?

No perfect solution, but I had a similar problem and solved it by using
reiserfs instead of ext3 for the maildirs and backup partition. ext3 is
much slower than reiserfs if you're handling directories containing huge
numbers of files.

Also, it might help to call rsync separately for each $USER. rsync tends
to use a lot of memory if you have many files.

Hope this helps.

Oliver