Re: Changing the default simlink to sh [was: Password file with over 3000 users.]

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:48:17AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 07:55:02PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > BSD systems have their own non-GNU versions of standard utilities, so sh
> > scripts from linux often wont work on *bsd anyway.  and vice-versa.
>
> Whoa there.  That needs some backing up.  My understanding, based on
> having read the man and info pages for lots of GNU utilities, is that
> the GNU folks go to great lengths to preserve compatibility with
> traditional Unix utilities.

with which particular implementations? each vendor had (and still has)
their own versions with not-quite-compatible command-line switches and
sometimes even incompatible file & output formats.

the GNU versions are the only ones that are standard across multiple
unix-like operating systems.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #196:

Me no internet, only janitor, me just wax floors.