Re: Again, but with a twist: control panel

Thanks for all responses. It is clear that what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but we are now considering moving to a custom developed solution. Probably externally developed as we have a budget for it.

Regards,

Frederik.

Gavin Westwood wrote:
Frederik Denkens wrote:
<snip>In the mean time our customers are becoming more and more demanding on having a 'control panel' so they can self-manage things like DNS and Email. So we are looking for kind of 'control-panel'.

Ideally, the solution should be quite 'lightweight' and doesn't try to do too much (like Plesk and things), but is even rather limited. Also it would be multi-server capable.
<snip>

Hi Frederik.

I've been looking for something very similar and not been able to find a solution, so I've come to the conclusion that I need to find others who have this problem and work together to create a package or packages to fit the needs of small ISPs running Debian.

My thought was to create control panels that are abstracted from the servers themselves (e.g. for mail the server could be Exim or Postfix or Qmail, etc) to allow a consistent method of managing the servers.  This would require some duplication of effort to make the available options be able to be set for all the different common implementations of servers on Debian, but would probably make the front end easier to develop...

If you do find something, I would appreciate if you point me in that direction.  If you would be interested in working with me find others and to develop this (maybe as a Sourceforge project), I would also be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

Gavin

--

Gavin Westwood
Solutium

http://hosting.solutium.co.uk - quality, affordable web hosting.

http://www.solutium.co.uk - IT Services and Support.

--

Frederik Denkens
Zaakvoerder / Commercial Manager

fdenkens@ilibris.be
http://www.ilibris.be

m: +32 475 96 04 93
t: +32 3 226 21 51
f: +32 3 201 27 19

Internet - Colocation - Managed Servers - Hosting Solutions
WebApplicaties - Mail Outsourcing - Consulting Services

-- Disclaimer --
This email and any attached files are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then delete
this email. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error
free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore is in
no way liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message,
which may arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard copy.