Re: Which mail server?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:03:55AM +0000, Brett Parker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 08:31:34PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > exim's not bad either, if you know your server will never need to
> > scale up to high mail loads. IMO there are really only two choices
> > for MTA today - exim and postfix. choose exim if you've got a small
> > server and you're already very familiar with it. choose postfix for
> > everything else.
>
> Can you please stop smoking quite so much crack

(oh good, lets jump straight into insults, shall we? this'll be fun)

can you please pull your head out of your arse?

> - exim is not just for "small installations"

compared to postfix, it is.

> and I've seen it cope with higher mail loads than
> postfix on the same hardware -

you're either completely incompetent at configuring postfix (more
like miraculously competent at misconfiguring it - you'd have to try
exceptionally hard to break it) or you're full of shit.

i really wouldn't be able to place a bet on either possibility, they
both seem equally likely. since your head is so firmly wedged up your
arse, i'd have to bet on both being true.

> If postfix is so great, why haven't the likes of, oh, say Clara.NET,
> Wanadoo, etc etc changed to it yet?

fucked if i know. nor do i care, any more than i know or care why
yahoo uses BSD rather than linux or why some ISPs think using IIS is a
good idea or why lots of people use a toy like mysql. companies do all
sorts of apparently stupid things for reasons completely unrelated to
technical quality, reliability or performance. for political/marketing
reasons, because the glossy brochure/slick salesdroid tells them so,
because of inertia, because the risk or expense of changing things is
too great, and for many other reasons.

they're not my servers, so i don't give a damn what they use. i use what
my own experience (with all freely available unix MTAs and some non-free
ones over the last 15+ years) has taught me is the best currently
available MTA.

> Please, when semi-bashing exim actually consider what you're saying
> *first*.

i did. what i said was true. exim is a decent enough little mailer if
you don't expect too much from it.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)