Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: Which mail server?

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 11:00 +0000, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

> > Is qmail is good enough or do I have to choose postfix or exim? Which
> > one and why?
>
> Qmail's got two problems that were enough for me to
> replace it.
>
> 1.  It doesn't know how to reject anything in the SMTP
> cycle.  It swallows everything and then barfs up the crap.
> Generates a lot of backscatter.  So much that you can get
> blocked by AOL if some spammer spoofs them a lot.

This is not quite true. There is patches and helper programs which do
reject at the smtp level. Using ucspi-tcp allows the blocking of
messages at the smtp conversation, and then combined with simscan you
can also do filtering of spam and viruses and drop them at the smtp
conversation level as well.

> 2.  It doesn't know how to bunch together multiple
> recipients of the same message in the same domain.
> So if you have 500 Yahoo subscribers on a mailing list,
> it takes 500 separate processes and SMTP transactions
> to deliver them.  Yahoo will block you for that.
> Postfix will collect them together and do one
> SMTP transaction.

Though im not 100% certain on this one, I am fairly certain there is a
patch for this as well.

Shane