Re: missing disk space

--On February 7, 2006 4:23:55 PM -0500 Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:

   Huh.  That's bizzare, and interesting.

   One thought I had concerns syslog, which will continue to write to its
open  file descriptors even if the files that are being written to have
been  "deleted".  [I'm wondering what logrotate would do with this
condition.]

Actually any process can get into this state. logrotate can cause any process to get into this state as well by not properly HUPing the process or whatever signal or call is necessary to tell it to close and re-open it's log files. It's not just syslog. Apache, mysql, sendmail, any unix program. A file in unix is not really deleted until all open descriptors have passed away as well, and until that time the file can continue to be read/written by these processes that still have an open descriptor on the file. Nothing all that unusual once you understand that this can happen. :)

   Anyway -- hope you find the cause, Peter

	- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us