Re: missing disk space

Hello

On 2006-02-07 Peter Dumpert wrote:
> The first thing I found was that df and du did not even come close to
> agreeing. Here is the most recent:
> home:~# df -h /var
> /dev/sda2              10G  8.8G  716M  93% /var
> home:~# du -hs /var
> 120M    /var

I once was fooled by a situation that occured when mounting a filesystem
twice, df still showed the state back when it had been mounted and not
the current one. Try umounting /var until umount says it's not mounted
and then remount.

A second thing are deleted files. If e.g. MySQL has a table open then
you can 'rm' the file, it won't get freed until all applications have
closed it. You can check that with 'lsof +L1'.

bye,

-christian-