Re: missing disk space

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 15:38, Christian Hammers wrote:
> On 2006-02-07 Peter Dumpert wrote:
> > The first thing I found was that df and du did not even come close to
> > agreeing. Here is the most recent:
> > home:~# df -h /var
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda2              10G  8.8G  716M  93% /var
> > home:~# du -hs /var
> > 120M    /var
>
> I once was fooled by a situation that occured when mounting a filesystem
> twice, df still showed the state back when it had been mounted and not
> the current one. Try umounting /var until umount says it's not mounted
> and then remount.

   Huh.  That's bizzare, and interesting.

   One thought I had concerns syslog, which will continue to write to its open
file descriptors even if the files that are being written to have been
"deleted".  [I'm wondering what logrotate would do with this condition.]

   Anyway -- hope you find the cause, Peter

	- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us