Re: Logging server for stats

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 03:19:13AM +0100, Thomas Goirand (GPLHost) wrote:

> Regarding apache, our final goal is to have a "sladot effect proof"
> apache config, and we've been looking in things like mod_watch and
> mod_bandwidth. The only problem is that something that would slow down
> the traffic on a apache server would increase the number of apache
> process at a given time in the memory (and eventually be the cause of
> memory swapping) because it would take more time to serve the browsers.

  I've approached this in two ways in the past.  Initially I wrote a
 small Apache module which kept track of the referers, more than N
 identical referers over M minutes started a redirection.

  That worked well, but it was a little bit of a kludge.

  In the end I simply tweaked my Apache setup to actually cope with
 the traffic.  I still have an alarm via Monit - that trips when
 the number of Apache child processes goes over a threshold, or
 memory usage jumps significantly.

  I found that was sufficient to alert me to an incoming horde
 of visitors - pretty much regardless of source.

Steve