Re: Logging server for stats

Simon wrote:

First, iglobalwall.com is not a correct addr, it should be :
deb ftp://ftp.gplhost.com/debian woody main

Where did you get that address? This was the URL of an old server for
doing tests...

See here:

http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=mysqmail

:)

Note that the current repository not for sarge (do NOT use the
mod_log_sql in it, it will make apache segfault if mod_php is enabled),
and that I'm currently building the repository. In the mean while, I
suggest that you use the anonymous cvs with the following packages:

Thanks for the FYI. I have the standard mod_log_sql working on
development, so will contine to trial with that at the mo. Will
download your patches and have a play too!
Thanks

Simon
Last minute : my postfix-logger I wrote few days ago is to be rewritten it seems (it was a bunch of old code from Damien Mascord and I, badly put together by me: I'll have a look closer to see why it goes in infinite loop, and rewrite). The rest of the loggers seems to work well (but need more testing as it's still new). As expected, additional load is very low on what I saw.

Somebody replied to me in my mail, maybe some of you will find it interesting and/or could help.

Regarding apache, our final goal is to have a "sladot effect proof" apache config, and we've been looking in things like mod_watch and mod_bandwidth. The only problem is that something that would slow down the traffic on a apache server would increase the number of apache process at a given time in the memory (and eventually be the cause of memory swapping) because it would take more time to serve the browsers.

My goal doing that kind of traffic accounting is to be able to see if an account is going out of it's limit and have a quick reaction (less than 10 minutes for example), like removing the vhost from the online sites and replace it by a "too much traffic" page. But it could also be modifying apache config so it slows down a given vhost.

Any suggestion on that topic is welcome (like what to do if too much traffic, or how to detect too much traffic and how to make the decision, with in mind the fact that the apache process serving the page must end as fast as possible).

BFN,

   Thomas
--
http://www.gplhost.com