Re: RaiserFS via NFS

You might like DRBD better than AFS, I think AFS is more suited, to
allow multiple servers to serve /usr/bin, ie static partitions. /var or
/home partitions need something different.

Coda does sound good. ...just following these, not using them yet, I
think inter-mezzo is too young still,  links:

Drbd is a block device which is designed to build high availability
clusters. This is done by mirroring a whole block device via (a
dedicated) network. You could see it as a network raid-1.

The 1.0 release of Lustre is now available, and is suitable for clusters
with thousands of nodes and hundreds of terabytes of storage.

The Open Global File System (OpenGFS, or OGFS) is a journaled filesystem that
supports simultaneous sharing of a common storage device by multiple computer

Coda is a distributed filesystem with its origin in AFS2.

InterMezzo will be suitable for replication of servers, mobile
computing, managing system software on large clusters, and for
maintenance of high availability clusters.

// George

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 01:43:43AM +0200, Andreas John wrote:
>Just to be curious: I'm thinking for some time about using andrew fs,
>i.e. coda instead of NFS. I don't like NFS, due to complications with
>access rights (Yes, I use ugidd). But it sounds like the locking problem
>ist also not solved with coda, right?
>Andrew Miehs wrote:
>>I suggest you all read
>>Especially the sentence
>>'Thus, Postfix on NFS is slightly less reliable than Postfix on a local
>>Either something is reliable or not. there is no such thing as slightly
>>less reliable.
>>Especially when it comes to mail. With Maildir you will have less
>>problems than with mbox,
>>but you still do NOT have atomic transactions, and as such you will at
>>some stage
>>statistically have a problem.
>Andreas John
>net-lab GmbH
>Luisenstrasse 30b
>63067 Offenbach
>Tel: +49 69 85700331
>To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact

George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://www.galis.org/george cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631