Re: ldap

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. Actually it's the disabling of user shell access that brings that security. But has nothing to do with using db, nsswitch. So the real advantage is distribution (as Fraser wrote) and not security. Sorry Rod, I must have been a bit confused yesterday..

Michael

Michael Loftis wrote:

local means 'can get shell and/or otherwise get machine to execute stuff we want to execute'

has nothing to do with /etc/passwd, ldap, nis, mysql, or anything. all they need is a hole that allows them to execute something.