Re: ldap

Maybe I'm off topic. WHere do you keep your user accounts at the moment? are they all local users? Most exploits and vulnerabilities are local -- they only apply to your machine if you have (other) local users. So it's more secure to have "virtual" users via nsswitch / pam /etc and some db (ldap, mysql preferably).
There are more reasons - but this is the most compelling one I think.

Michael Moritz

Rod Rodolico wrote:

ok, this is a basic question. I am a small IPP (60 domains, 200 users) and I see a lot of
stuff about ldap. I searched the web and got some basic info on what it does, but the big
question is, how would it be helpful to me? I also run MySQL services, but mainly the server
does smtp, imap, pop, http and dns (exim, courier, apache and bind). One box, 200 users, is
there any reason I should consider dns?

BTW, I also maintain three other web servers for people and use them all as backup servers
(using rsync) for each other, but I guess that is not part of the issue here.

Thanks,

Rod

--
Please note that this account is being filtered using anti UCE systems. If you send email to this account make sure that it could not be mistaken as UCE.