Re: Sendmail or Qmail ? ..

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:47:14AM -0400, Dale E Martin wrote:
> > It doesnt at all.... Not to ellaborate, but the subject says it
> > all...even then. I hate exim too.
>
> Has it been covered before on this list?  I for one would be interested in
> elaboration, if there is something technically inferior about exim or
> postfix to qmail or sendmail?  Or politically, I suppose, since much of
> people's dislike about qmail has more to due with "political" than
> technical reasons.

there are technical and "political" reasons to avoid qmail.  the political
reasons have been discussed many times on many lists, so i'll ignore them here.

like all of djb's software, qmail has extremely weird configuration.  not
difficult to learn, just a PITA and completely unlike any other unix tools, and
completely unlike anything else on your system - djb (wrongly) believes that it
is far more important for his programs to be consistent with each other no
matter what system they're running on than it is for them to be consistent with
everything else on the system.

amongst many other problems (including the unneccessary bizarre re-invention of
existing tools that work perfectly well) he makes extensive use of "magic" file
and directory names, mere existence of a file can trigger events and radically
change the behaviour of a program.  this is so fucked up that it's hard to
believe he thinks it's a good idea (but he does!).

craig