Re: radius server choice

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:28:50PM -0300, German Gutierrez wrote:

> I don't know a thing about OpenRADIUS, so maybe this question is silly:
> If you change the external script, do you have to restart the radius
> server?

Yes, or kill the process that runs the interpreter for your script. The
core will find out about the dead child immediately and will restart it
after a short time.

Another measure that improves scaleability is that you can run multiple
copies of each module. Workload is divided round-robin across idle
modules that are part of the same callable interface; if all modules are
busy serving a request, the first module to become idle will get the
job immediately.

Also, each instance of a module may connect to a different database, so
you can implement load sharing across database replicas. If you want
connection pooling, that happens automatically, because each module
instance is persistant and may keep its database connection
indefinitely.

> In another mail you wrote:
>
> > If you need more flexibility and stability than FreeRADIUS and can live
> > with the limited choice of modules (ASCII files, LDAP or Unix password
> > db), go for OpenRADIUS.
>
> I think you ment "as long as you don't write your own module", right?

Yes, of course...

> BTW, I'm not arguing with you or trying to flame, I just want to know
> about openradius, sorry if I sound rude, my english is just that bad.

Oh, no, don't worry! You didn't sound rude and your English is fine,
especially to a non-native speaker like me. I should be saying the same;
I just wanted to point out the differences and am of course not bothered
in the least by you suggesting XtRADIUS..!

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info