Re: SpamAssassin Causing Server Startup Failure

On Friday 10 January 2003 10:11 am, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 12:58, Fred Clausen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > server I can try this in. Unfortunately, I don't quite know how to
> > > force a Debian server to stay in runlevel 1 during the boot process.
> >
> > I cannot really help you with your Spamassissin problems but if you do
> > not want to process any startup scripts at all then from lilo use :
> >
> > linux init=/bin/sh
>
> For some, this is near impossible - I'm in Zurich, my server is in
> Bern...

Then I don't understand how you would expect staying in runlevel 1 would work
at all: init 1 doesn't start up network services.  A solution for you would
be to create your own custom runlevel (like, say, grabbing 4), and having it
startup ssh and nothing else.  Then, if you are having a problem like this,
you can, well, I dunno.  How *do* you troubleshoot boot problems?

--
"Yousa steala precious from meesa!" - Jar-Jaromir

D.A.Bishop