Re: Moving from BSDi

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:08:55AM -0500, Scott St. John wrote:
> At 03:31 PM 10/29/2002 +1100, you wrote:
> >1. (on BSDi), run pwunconv to convert to non-shadowed passwd file
>
> I don't have that utility on any of my BSDi machines, scanning Google
> for it now.

that would be because BSDi has it's own version of shadow passwords.

i saw that someone else posted an answer which described how to convert
BSDi passwd files to a format compatible with linux.

> I hear you, these BSDi boxes have been wonderful and I was hoping for
> the same stability under Linux.  BSDi went away because of lack of
> innovation, but there has to be a fine line between cutting edge and a
> reliable machine.

if you use good hardware, linux is at least as stable as anything else.

in my experience, the motherboard is the most important component to
consider - buy the best you can afford for the job. trying to save money
on the MB is going to cost you in downtime later on.  a crap MB will
result in a crap machine, no matter how good the other components are.

this is why i prefer to buy clones from a reputable dealer rather than
name-brands....they will build me the exact machine i want using the
motherboard and other components i specify, rather than just use
whatever the current cheapie board on the market is, and usually for
less than what the namebrand would cost for an equivalent machine.

namebrand PCs also tend to have other annoying faults, like proprietary
power supplies, limited upgradability, etc.

> I need to offer my clients good service, not the latest and greatest
> innovation that has not been tested.  To me it appears Debian has
> reached this level, solid and innovative.

yep.  and for an ISP, it's perfect - everything you could possibly need
in an ISP environment is packaged and generally works out-of-the-box
with minimal configuration (i.e. the default config provided with the
package is sane, you just need to tweak it for your needs)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.