Re: failure notice (about relays.osirusoft.com)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:00, Jason Lim wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:02, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > It was once said that it is better to let off 10 criminals than to put
> > > 1 innocent man in jail.
> > >
> > > You, on the other hand, suggest it is better to put 10 innocent men in
> > > jail for 1 criminal.
> >
> > That only applies for criminal law where guilt has to be proven "beyond
> > reasonable doubt".
> >
> > In civil law it's the "balance of probabilities", so if it's "most
> > likely" that you did it then you'll be punished.
> >
> > If you sue a group of 10 people who are associated and you can prove
> > that you have a valid case against at least 9 of them (and not one of
> > them can prove
> > themselves to be less guilty than the rest), then it's most likely that
> > you'll get a judgement against all 10 of them.
> >
> > Having your email blocked by an anti-spam service does not compare to
> > being locked in a cell with a group of sex-starved bikers...  It doesn't
> > even compare with the penalties you may face under civil law if you get
> > sued.
>
> That would be debatable... how about loss of business due to
> hindering/halting/imparing/interferring/your-own-word here business
> communications?

Are you serious?  When comparing being locked in a cell with a group of
horney bikers and having some email blocked, you'll choose the horney bikers?

> You are only looking at a personal level... okay... if you can't get email
> from your best friend that lives in Asia, the loss is only to you, and to
> the other people that can't get their communications to/from Asia
> properly.
>
> How about if a large multinational firm suddenly loses communications with
> a large portion of it's customers living in Asia, because a militant RBL
> suddenly decides to block it's upstream or the country (not them sending
> spam)? True... the blocks can be worked around (relaying the mail through
> other mail servers not in Asia, etc.), but it still takes time, during
> which the loss of business could be pretty big.

Large multinational firms get to choose their own policy for spam blocking,
they don't let an ISP tell them what to do.  All you need is a MD of a
company they do business with being unable to send an email to the MD of
their company and heads will roll.

If you want to persue your crusade against spam blocking then finding an
incidence of it affecting a multinational is a good way to start.

> do you think it is more acceptable to lose an email, rather than get a
> spam message a day?

If it was 1 legit message vs 1 spam then no.  However given a choice of 100
spams vs 1 legit message, then sure I'll let that legit message be bounced.
In reality it's more like 1000 or more spams vs 1 legit message.