Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

----- Original Message -----
From: <cfm@maine.com>
To: "Gene Grimm" <elessar@noi.net>
Cc: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:24:57AM -0400, Gene Grimm wrote:
> > Speaking as an ISP that has to deal with spam complaints from our
clients,
> > most people consider it spam if it was unrequested -- thus the
definition of
> > Unsolicited Commercial Email. It's bad enough to have to deal with junk
> > through snail mail, but now we have to deal with junk ads in electronic
> > mail. At least with snail mail the advertisor has to foot the whole bill
of
> > the ads so they have to budget their advertising. What irritates me is
when
> > the spammers try to claim that they are sending out their junkmail "in
> > accordance to federal legislation" and refer to some House or Senate
bill.
> > To the best of my knowledge, there still isn't any actual statute that
has
> > been signed into law regarding spam.
>
> There is a big difference between spam with a legitimate reply to
> and valid bounce address, that will in fact bounce back.
> spam with a forged reply to and where bounces bounce is a whole
> different issue.  YMMV

To the end user, even advertisements with valid bounce and reply to
addresses are spam if they didn't request it. Granted, some people forget or
may not realize they signed up for this or that mailing list when they
signed up at this web site or that one. But if the "advertiser" is
"trawling" for, or trading email addresses the end user most likely didn't
opt into that spam list. Our current definition of legitmate commercial
email requires clear identification of the sending organization, valid
originating and return addresses belonging to the sender, and clearly
defined and functional procedures for removal from future mailings. It also
requires that any mailing lists be of the opt-in not opt-out variety. The
customer has to ask to be added to the list in the first place, not be
automatically added and made to request to be removed.