Re: customizing debian apache

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001, Cameron Moore <lists@toad.bitstreet.net> wrote...

: I am well aware that there are ten different ways to do this the "hard
: way".  I can build apache from the official apache source tarball, but
: I'd like to be able to install a customized deb package that's easy to
: maintain (ie. I don't want to have to go in and hack up the build
: scripts every time I upgrade).

My suggestion:

apt-get source apache

rename the package, to something like apache-cmore
edit the debian/control to have it "Provide" apache, and "Conflicts"
with apache.

Yes, this is still harder to maintain with new versions, but it is still
fairly tidy. An alternative would be patching suexec to accept a run-time
path (from what I gather, this is non-trivial)

\dopey{}