customizing debian apache

Has anyone managed to customize (as in "use your own Layout on") an
apache build from .deb source?  I can't stand the debian Layout and want
to customize it (or even use an existing layout that comes with apache).
The problem is that all of the build scripts and whatnot assume you use
the Debian layout.

I'm not familiar enough with the debian build process to start trying to
hack up a "neutral" build scheme yet, so I'm hoping someone has some
insight into how to attack this problem.

BTW, I'm using woody/testing.
--
Cameron Moore