Re: Journaling FS for Production Systems

tir, 2001-11-06 kl. 09:03 skrev I. Forbes:
> I am looking at moving some of our "potato" based production
> servers onto woody, and at the same time upgrading onto a
> journaling FS.
Sounds interesting.

> I need the FS to meet the following in order of importance:
>
> -   MUST BE STABLE (our income depends on uptime!)
Hard to say, however, I have had some serious crashes with reiserfs. At
one point it blew my partition into pieces, at a reinstall was needed
(reiserfs from kernel 2.4.8).

> -   Must be supported in woody, without too much extra fiddling.
I know at least that reiser and xfs is - haven't done installation on
xfs/ext3, but it should be easy to find some bootfloppies that do the
job.

> -   Good "power switch abuse" recoverability.  EXT2 is pretty good,
>     except if you have multiple reboots, you need to run fsck
>     manually (at least with the standard debian init scripts).  I
>     can live with fsck, but I would prefer no manual intervention.
I beleive all of them have, it's one of the fine things with journaling
filsystems.

> -   File system quota support (nice but not essential).
xfs, and ext3 have quota support - I'm not sure about Reiser...
xfs even has acl support (which ext3 doesn't have without some
patching)...

> -   NFS support would be nice to have, but not essential.
I might be wrong here - but I beleive that NFS supports every filesystem
that the kernel supports...

> Without wishing to start a flame ware, can anybody give me a quick
> run-down on which of the above criteria new generation file
> systems, like Reiser, XFS, EXT3, etc  meet.
And I can only add to this, that my comments aren't ment to start any
flame war either, just sharing some experience and some though.

I would either go with ext3 (which even is ext2 compatible AFAIK) or
XFS. They really seem to be the most stable. Reiser is not bad, but I
have had some terrible experiences with it - however, I do still use it,
it is nice, but IMHO not suited for production systems yet (allthough I
beleive that many people do actually use it in production).

--
Paul Fleischer // ProGuy
Registered Linux User #166300