Journaling FS for Production Systems

Hello All

I am looking at moving some of our "potato" based production
servers onto woody, and at the same time upgrading onto a
journaling FS.

I need the FS to meet the following in order of importance:

-   MUST BE STABLE (our income depends on uptime!)

-   Must be supported in woody, without too much extra fiddling.

-   Good "power switch abuse" recoverability.  EXT2 is pretty good,
    except if you have multiple reboots, you need to run fsck
    manually (at least with the standard debian init scripts).  I
    can live with fsck, but I would prefer no manual intervention.

-   Good performance for "Maildir" directories.  (We run Exim,
    Courier IMAP and SQWebmail as standard).

-   Software RAID 1 disk mirroring on IDE drives.  Something new but
    very necessary.

-   Suitable for use on a root file system on a machine with one
    partition.  - (Availability of boot/installation disks would be
    nice.  We currently do installations from 3 stiffy disks and the
    rest from the LAN using nfs/ftp/http)

-   File system quota support (nice but not essential).

-   NFS support would be nice to have, but not essential.

Without wishing to start a flame ware, can anybody give me a quick
run-down on which of the above criteria new generation file
systems, like Reiser, XFS, EXT3, etc  meet.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa