Re: RAID & Hard disk performance

Not to start a holy war, but there are real reasons to use SCSI.

The big ones are

Much larger MTBF, faster access times due to higher spindle speeds, better bus management (eg 2 drives can perform tasks at once unlike IDE), Hot Swapable (This is HUGE) and more cache on the drive.

I'll stop now before I start that war :-)

Dave

At 11:20 AM 11/4/01 +1100, you wrote:
<quote who="Russell Coker">

> There's a number of guides that tell you about hdparm and what DMA is, but if
> you already know that stuff then there's little good documentation.

"Oh bum." :)

> Then on the rare occasions that I do meet people who know this stuff
> reasonably well they seem to spend all their time trying to convince me that
> SCSI is better than IDE (regardless of benchmark results).  :(

Heh, there's a religious war waiting to happen.

> > [1] http://people.redhat.com/alikins/system_tuning.html

I've just found that iostat (in unstable's sysstat package) supports
extended I/O properties in /proc if you have sct's I/O monitoring patches.
Unfortunately, the last one on his ftp site is for 2.3.99-preBlah. I sent an
email to lkml last night to see if there's a newer patch - I'll follow up
here if so.

Thanks Russell,

- Jeff

--