Re: RAID & Hard disk performance

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:33, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Russell Coker">
>
> > RAID-5 is another issue though.  But then you have to consider that Linux
> > software RAID kills the performance of most hardware RAID controllers.
> > Run an Athlon 800 with two IDE drives in RAID-1 and expect 2-4 times the
> > performance for bulk IO that an entry level Mylex RAID controller with
> > Ultra2 SCSI 10K rpm drives.  I expect that a top-end Mylex controller
> > will perform well (but who can afford one of them?).
>
> Wow!
>
> Russell, do you know of any Linux I/O and hard disk performance guides?
> I've recently read Adrian Likins' system tuning page [1] and am interested
> too see if there's anything more specific.

I'll have to check out that link.  But generally I rely on my own experience
when playing with disk performance.  I haven't (yet) come across any guides
to these things which were good and pitched at a high technical level.
There's a number of guides that tell you about hdparm and what DMA is, but if
you already know that stuff then there's little good documentation.

Then on the rare occasions that I do meet people who know this stuff
reasonably well they seem to spend all their time trying to convince me that
SCSI is better than IDE (regardless of benchmark results).  :(