Re: help with site+database

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:12, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
>     >> it may not actually BE a kickback, but it looks like one and
>     >> smells like one and the end-result is basically the same.
>
>     RC> Only the most stupid consultants would go for that (like a
>     RC> consulting company I used to work for).  You can make much
>     RC> more money installing the software, programming, etc and
>     RC> charging by the hour.
>
> Yes, and getting kickbacks and residuals are also iffy ethically since
> you are haggling with the vendors on behalf of your client on the
> client's clock.  Happily, as RC suggests, the other way round is more
> profitable, so it is a no-brainer.  If the vendor is willing to apply
> larger discounts to sales funneled though your consultancy, that makes
> you so much more valuable to the clients.  IMHO and IMHE,
> consultancies who see their clients as "marks" end up with idiots as
> clients and idiots do tend to go out of business when things turn
> sour.
>
> OB ISP:  did anyone do systematic banchmarking with Russel Coker's
> postal/rabid suite?  Google only seems to know about RC's own
> benchmarking on a notebook.

The only systematic benchmark results that have been published are of
comparing Maildir to mbox.

Probably most people here can already guess most of the results (mbox does
really badly and Maildir is generally good).

Some of the hardware guys at VA were talking about working on such things
with me at one time, but I think that deal's cancelled now...