Re: help with site+database

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:06:02PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > The situation of requiring three people from different countries
> > > working together to solve a problem is not a nice one.
> >
> > hooray for commercial support! it's really worth paying a fortune
> > for, isn't it?
>
> I think you mis-read my message, "countries" not "companies".  The
> problem was that I had to talk to people from the US and sometimes
> Australia to get assistance with problems.

no, i understood what you wrote. my comment was just a generic sarcastic
remark about how useful commercial support really is :)

doesn't make much difference whether it's 3 companies or 3 countries
- although playing telephone tag through multiple time zones is
undoubtedly not much fun.

> > it may not actually BE a kickback, but it looks like one and smells
> > like one and the end-result is basically the same.
>
> Only the most stupid consultants would go for that (like a consulting
> company I used to work for).

i'm sure this will come as a big surprise to you :), but the IT industry
is full of stupid consultants. they're the kind who insist that POP is a
viable mail transport protocol, and that Exchange and NT are safe to put
live on the internet.

good consultants will recommend oracle if it is the right tool for the
job, but bad ones will recommend it because of the money or because most
of the selling has already been done by oracle's marketing dept. it's
hard to tell the difference, of course, unless you're skilled enough
that you don't NEED the consultants.

the trouble is that most clients (aka "victims") aren't knowledgeable
enough to be wary of any consultant who *needs* a point-and-drool GUI to
get any work done.

> You can make much more money installing the software, programming, etc
> and charging by the hour.

yes, they do that too of course.

craig

--