Re: disk partition schemes

Kevin J. Menard, Jr. wrote:

Hey Russell,

Friday, June 22, 2001, 11:07:37 AM, you wrote:

RC> What exactly will that save you from?  If the root FS gets messed up then
RC> having a separate /boot won't gain you much...

I was thinking the other way around actually.  If /boot were to get messed up,
it wouldn't affect /.

RC> I suggest creating /home/mail and linking /var/spool/mail to it.  However
RC> if you want decent performance for email you want to use Maildir. By RC> default maildir storage goes into user's home directories which solves RC> this issue.

Well, I'll be using Cyrus IMAPd.  Doesn't use Maildir, but does create separate
folders per user.  Thus, the spool is really not going to hold data much.
However long it takes to rip data off incoming (using postfix) and send it out,
or however long to hand it off to lmtpd and let cyrus deliver it.

RC> If you have two partitions on the same physical media (in this case a
RC> RAID-10) then expect to lose performance. If you make it all one large RC> partition then the file system drivers can optimise things more.

Oh.  Guess I didn't quite understand how disk I/O functioned.  I figured
something like /var, which will have a lot of synchronous writes, would get
better performance outside of / or /home.

RC> I recommend having a separate /home to limit the things that can go
RC> wrong. I recommend leaving /var on the root file system unless you need RC> a lot of space in /var.

Just from a performance point of view or for other reasons?

RC> Also consider a separate file system for RC> /var/tmp and make /tmp a sym-linke to /var/tmp/tmp .

Once again . . . just for stability?  security?

drives have come a long way, and with a RAID 10, would I be safe in
doing this?  Or should I just have a coulple gig / and the rest for
/home?

RC> RAID has no relevance to the issue of partitioning in this sense.

Well, my point here was, with the RAID 10, I already have a pretty good amount
of reliability, as if one drive fails, the system can still function.  And with
disks that are pretty reliable to begin with, I wasn't sure if the combination
of all these would merit just one large / fs.

Thanks again.

Hm, This is interesting, I have almost always used separate partitions, such as /var, and it's saved my butt a couple times. If a log file starts to run away, which I've had happen a twice, it can't overflow the boundaries of the partition and crash the box, which it can if it's on /. I _always_ use a seprarate /home, so I can keep data in case I have to reinstall the OS, (successful intrustion attempt, etc.) and I've been using a /boot for no good reason. :o) The other benefit could, I've theorized, come from chrooting certain processes, If you leave them on a separate partition, and somehow someone exploits the partition, you can restore from your backup of the partition, without _too_ much difficulty.

Just my opinion, and I'd welcome comments on the topic.

~duane