Re: disk partition schemes

On Friday 15 June 2001 16:13, Kevin J. Menard, Jr. wrote:
>     This system would be used mostly for web-hosting, so I was figuring
> a large /home partition.  Likewise only one or two kernels max, so I
> figured a small /boot.  And finally, and this is really where I'm

Why do you need a separate partition for /boot?  Why not just have it in
the root fs?

Problems with booting from partitions >2G were solved ages ago, your root
file system should fit into 8G (although even that limit doesn't apply if
your BIOS is new enough).

> looking for help, it will be used as an IMAP/SMTP machine.  So, should
> I create a separate /var partition?  I'm hesitant because I don't want
> to a) not create a large enough partition, or b) create too large of

I suggest having your email stored on the same file system as /home.
Then you have all of your customer data on the same file system for easy
backup.  Also it saves juggling space.

> one and waste space.  Do the performance gains outweigh this?  (I'm not
> terribly worried about the redundancy with the RAID 10 and all).

What performance gains are you referring to?