Re: sendmail is slow for mass mail

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, JPS wrote:

First, I just got around to mail today (jury duty, & working from home)
- I see you also emailed me privately - we should probably continue
off-line.

> "250 2.1.5 <user0@tymmpwiw.com>... Recipient ok"
>
> for each recipient. Unfortunately, there are 100K recipients,
> and my MUA has to maintain that open connection for hours.
> There must be a better way!

Gads... This part is forced (one responce/recipient) by protocol.

As to the delay, I'll need more information on your setup (sendmail.mc
and types/sizes of related databases - access, ldap, etc).

> Second, once the dialogue is complete, sendmail puts the whole
> envelope into the queue. Then, by drips and drabs, sendmail selects a handfull
> of recipients and sends them the email. It does this during every
> queue-flush-run (every 10 minutes) in my case. How can I get sendmail
> to process the whole envelope at once? Is it supposed to take days to
> process large mailinglists? What am I doing wrong?

We need to split the envelope into pieces (ie bulkmail - or newer
sendmails can do it internally).  I'd also consider reducing the queue
interval and increasing the number of queue-runners.

You're using a new enough sendmail - so we just gotta tweak it... 8.12.0
has performance generally better than older 8.9.3 (ie, better than
everything since then) - and can blow the doors off your pipe with
multiple queues (and runners).

I'll need to know if what kind of recipients you have - mostly internal
to your company (or some other domains, or many other domains)?

> BTW: this machine has its own BIND.
> Also, I won't use qmail because I have too much invested in sendmail at this
> point, and I dislike the DJB's licensing terms.

So tell me anything thats relevant to your setup - we'll see what we can
do...

--
Rick Nelson
I'd crawl over an acre of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated Development