sendmail is slow for mass mail

I have a sendmail installation using sendmail_8.11.3+8.12.0.Beta5-4_i386.deb
+ SASL on a linux 2.4.3-pre4 i686.

I am attempting to process very high volume mailingslists (10-100K
multiples) on this server.

My problem: The emails are being sent out at an UNBELIEVABLY SLOW rate.

First, during the initial esmtp dialogue, sendmail checks each and every
recipient address and after 1 or more seconds it says:

"250 2.1.5 <user0@tymmpwiw.com>... Recipient ok"

for each recipient. Unfortunately, there are 100K recipients,
and my MUA has to maintain that open connection for hours.
There must be a better way!

Second, once the dialogue is complete, sendmail puts the whole
envelope into the queue. Then, by drips and drabs, sendmail selects a handfull
of recipients and sends them the email. It does this during every
queue-flush-run (every 10 minutes) in my case. How can I get sendmail
to process the whole envelope at once? Is it supposed to take days to
process large mailinglists? What am I doing wrong?

BTW: this machine has its own BIND.
Also, I won't use qmail because I have too much invested in sendmail at this
point, and I dislike the DJB's licensing terms.

--
Jean-Paul Stewart
Senior Systems Administrator

CarbonMedia, Inc.