A sendmail question from someone else

Someone else is getting help for this here, so hopefully I'm asking on an
acceptable list..If not, I'll have to go to the sendmail list (Ack! Scary!)

Lots of <SNIP>'s in this message, because there's no reason to give 34
examples of the same thing :)
Text from the console is enclosed in "---"'s

All incoming mail is queued although the DeliveryMode is set to background

---
josh@pacific:/etc/mail$ grep Delivery sendmail.cf
O DeliveryMode=background
---

Sometimes the mail will sit in the queue for a long time before being
processed

---
josh@pacific:/etc/mail$ mailq |more
                /var/spool/mqueue (32 requests)
-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-------
----
<SNIP>
f2T1gUQM003634     2254 Wed Mar 28 18:42 <postmaster@inctech.com>
                 (Deferred)
                                         <joshlists@nebonet.com>
<SNIP>
                Total requests: 34
---

If I run sendmail -qR -v

---
pacific:/etc/mail# sendmail -qR -v |more

Running /var/spool/mqueue/f2S8175Z001125 (sequence 1 of 34)
<cazier@nebonet.com>... Connecting to /var/imap/socket/lmtp via cyrus...
220 pacific LMTP Cyrus v2.0.12 ready
>>> LHLO mail.nebonet.com
250-pacific
250-IGNOREQUOTA
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 EXTERNAL
250 PIPELINING
<SNIP>

Running /var/spool/mqueue/f2T1gUQM003634 (sequence 19 of 34)
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 ok
<joshlists@nebonet.com>... Using cached ESMTP connection to localhost via
cyrus.
..
>>> MAIL From:<postmaster@inctech.com>
250 2.1.0 ok
>>> RCPT To:<joshlists>
>>> DATA
250 2.1.5 ok
354 go ahead
>>> .
250 2.1.5 Ok
<joshlists@nebonet.com>... Sent

<SNIP>
Closing connection to localhost
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 bye
---

So there's not a problem with the message (some of the queued messages are
because the account is over quota...I understand those ones)

If I use 'runq', nothing seems to happen...but if I use 'sendmail -qR -v' as
above, all the mail gets delivered (that should be)

I thought maybe the queue just wasn't running often enough, so I changed
QUEUE_PARMS in /etc/default, but to no avail...

---
pacific:/etc/default# grep QUEUE_PARMS sendmail
# QUEUE_PARMS="-q10m"                   SMTP queue parameters
QUEUE_PARMS="-qp1s"
---

Any suggestions as to how I can keep these messages flowing?

-
Josh