Re: pop3 and Maildir

I've been following this thread with interest because I'm also looking for a pop3 server for a Debian system . Anyway. There are some basic points I'm missing though. What are the pros and cons of Maildir versus other formats. What is the point with Mysql and pam authentication and how does it affect a mail server. Can somebody, please give me some pointers where those are explained, and what are the best current practices for setting up a pop/imap mail server?

Thanks to all,

Eric.