Re: pop3 server,

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:03:05PM +0200, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> Hello,
> which packaged with debian pop3d would you people recommend?
>  which one do you use?

qmail with pop3d and friends seems to be pretty solid in my short experience
with them. I've not got hundreds of users, but it's said to be up to the task
of 200,000 messages per day or so. It configures pretty easily once you get
your head out of sendmail mode ;-)

One thing to watch out for is that one of the .debs is flaky, doesn't set the
execute bits on some things, so compilation bails with a fatal. I don't recall
which it is, now, but the fix is easy: chmod u+x /tmp/<progname>

I'm running it with ucspi-tcp and rblsmtpd, and it hasn't given me any
problems. There are patches and whatnot floating around to set it up for
relay-after-POP-authentication, but I haven't tried those since we're a small
shop and all outbound mail comes from the local net.

--
----   Art Sackett   ----